Friday 2 October 2020

The Gouzouki Project - Carving the Heel

I had an enforced break from the gouzouki project for a while, as I was pretty fully occupied throughout March and April 2020, trying to help save the construction industry from the impact of a national shutdown for the Covid-19 pandemic. I never thought that I would be typing that! Returning to the workshop was a real relief and distraction during some very strange times.

I wasn't looking forward to this next job - carving the heel shape where it forms a graceful transition from body joint to neck. We shall see how graceful it ends up!

This is the kind of shape I am aiming to get to, drawn on the heel cap.It was important to keep the centre line reference throughout this, so that I didn't end up with a wonky transition.



I made sure that the neck was very firmly clamped in the WorkMate and mostly used a rasp  to get to the approximate shape. I stopped regularly to check that I was producing a balanced result around that important centreline. 

The first photo shows the old Faith neck to illustrate what I was trying to end up with. The pictures tell the tale really.












No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gouzouki Project - How it Sounds Compared to Guitar and Bouzouki

Now that the Gouzouki project is finished, I thought it would be nice to compare guitar, bouzouki and gouzouki sounds. It’s not really a par...