Friday 2 October 2020

The Gouzouki Project - Fingerboard Profiling and Dot Markers

Two final jobs to do before I can install the frets now

The first is to gently plane and sand a curve across the fingerboard. I spent a while getting the plane blade super sharp last weekend in preparation and then basically planed two very shallow facets on each side. Then sanded with a big flat sanding block I made. It’s only maybe 1 - 1.5 mm shallower on the sides but that equates near enough to the right radius of curve. Then I recut the fret slots to make sure the edges were deep enough.







Next I marked out the locations of the position dots and carefully drilled shallow holes using a brad point drill to keep accurate.




Then I did the same thing on the side of the fretboard, but these are shallow 2mm dia holes.



The side markers are made from 2mm plastic rod. A blob of super glue in each hole, then push the rod in and snip off.


Same with the fret markers but they were bought dots (mother of pearl I think but I can't honestly remember!)


Then everything is carefully trimmed and sanded back flush - looking lovely!





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gouzouki Project - How it Sounds Compared to Guitar and Bouzouki

Now that the Gouzouki project is finished, I thought it would be nice to compare guitar, bouzouki and gouzouki sounds. It’s not really a par...