Friday 2 October 2020

The Gouzouki Project - Finishing the Tenon Joint & Truss Rod Channel

The bolt on neck relies on captive nuts, which are inset into the tenon. I salvaged these from the original neck; transferred the positions across from the original and drilled and countersunk holes into the tenon, then screwed the nuts in. The coarse thread on the outside grips the wood and the inner machined thread takes a 6mm allen-headed bolt through the body.

I test fitted the neck to the body and it all seemed pretty good, although the vertical and horizontal alignment both needed tweaking still at this stage. But it all felt very solid 😀

The eagle-eyed will spot that I had to glue a small piece of scrap onto the tenon, as I had previously cut it a fraction out of alignment. Another learning opportunity!





So the next thing was to rout out a channel for the truss rod, down the centre-line of the neck. I used the palm router again and my rudimentary fence and stop arrangement.




The channel has to be widened out at the head end to accomodate the adjuster nut. I used a length of heat shrink sleeve to ensure that the truss rod would be free to move in the neck, and not impeded by glue etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gouzouki Project - How it Sounds Compared to Guitar and Bouzouki

Now that the Gouzouki project is finished, I thought it would be nice to compare guitar, bouzouki and gouzouki sounds. It’s not really a par...